Saturday, April 19, 2008

Online Fish Identification Resource Launched

At last it's here: an online resource to help you identify fishes you might see in Tunku Abdul Rahman Park. It launches today with the basic layout (an example is given here) along with the few entries I have relating to Cartilagenous fishes (sharks and rays). It's the most comprehensive and accurate that I can make it, as an amateur Fishwatcher, but I've had some input from several Ichthyologists along the way which is mentioned where relevant and for which I'm very grateful.

Being an amateur with limited Systematics resources to hand, I expect to make mistakes and I hope you will bear with me. If you have a good reason (with a reliable source) to question one of my diagnoses, I would be very pleased to correspond with you.

This is a good moment to point out that at present, my guide shows only fish species which I have photographed here. I know that others have seen Whale sharks etc which I haven't, but I suspect that the number of such species is fairly small. Indeed, I'd be pleased to correspond with anyone who thinks they have a photograph of a species which I do not yet have. (However, please wait for me to upload the 275+ species I have before launching!)

The best way to view the catalogue is at my web album using a viewing add-on called PicLens which can be used with major browsers like Explorer and FireFox. This will allow you to easily and quickly scan a long wall of images to find where you want to focus your attention before zooming in for more details.

NB: ANY DANGER WARNINGS ARE ADVISORY ONLY - I make no guarantee to be right either in making or missing a warning. Check any species carefully via FishBase for better advice than mine.

I will update the blog whenever I add a tranche of pictures and hopefully the whole list will on line soon. After that, I'll make regular amendments and additions in due course.

If you are interested in other aspects of life in, and the context surrounding, TARP then take a regular look (or set up a feed) at my TARP Watch blog.

No comments: