Thursday, May 29, 2008

1 out, 299 down

A useful e-mail came in a couple of days ago which I've just been able to process - namely, POMACENTRIDAE authority Gerry Allen has noted that my adult Pomacentrus grammorhynchus was in fact a juvenile Pomacentrus tripunctatus en route to becoming an adult. My juvenile P. grammorhynchus photos were already somewhat suspect for having such tiny granules of blue on the top of the tail base. "Discretion is the better part of valour," as Falstaff has noted (Henry IV Part 1) and I have decided to withdraw P. grammorhynchus from my TARP fish checklist for the time being; hence the total I have seen till now drops back below 300, to 299. Tantalisingly, the juveniles may represent another species not yet on my checklist but until confirmed, I'll leave them out of it.

I have also amended the foldable checklist.

No comments: